This site is for those that believe in the sovereignty of God. If you wish just jump in.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

ABSOLUTE PREDESTINAT

ABSOLUTE PREDESTINATION

Jerome Zanchius (1516-1590)


Without a due sense of Predestination, we shall want the surest and the most powerful inducement to patience, resignation, and dependence on God under every spiritual and temporal affliction. How sweet must the following consideration be to a distressed believer!

(1) There most certainly exists an almighty, allwise and infinitely gracious God
.
(2) He has given me in times past and is giving me at present (if I but had eyes to see it) many signal intimations of His love to me, both in a way of providence and grace.

(3) This love of His is immutable; He never repents of it nor withdraws it.

(4) Whatever comes to pass in time is the result of His will from everlasting; consequently,

(5) my afflictions were a part of His original plan and are all ordered in number, weight, and measure.

(6) The very hairs of my head are everyone counted by Him, nor can a single hair fall to the ground but in consequence of His determination. Hence,

(7) my distresses are not the result of chance, accident, or a fortuitous combination of circumstances, but

(8) the providential accomplishment of God's purpose and

(9) designed to answer some wise and gracious ends; nor

(10) shall my afflications continue a moment longer than God sees meet.

(11) He who brought me to it has promised to support me under it and to carry me through it.

(12) All shall, most assuredly, work together for His glory and my good: therefore,

(13) "The cup which my heavenly Father hath given me to drink, shall I not drink it?" Yes, I will, in the strength He imparts, even rejoice in tribulation; and using the means of possible redress which He hath or may hereafter put into my hands, I will commit myself and the event to Him, whose purpose cannot be overthrown, whose plan cannot be disconcerted, and who, whether I am resigned or not, will still go on to work all things after the counsel of His own Will.

No comments: