This site is for those that believe in the sovereignty of God. If you wish just jump in.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Humility

Humility
by James H. Oliphant



Aug. 10, 1904
MY DEAR BROTHER HASSELL:--I just read in your paper the words---
'For sure of all the plants that share, The notice of Thy Father"s eye, None proves less grateful to His care, Or yields Him meaner fruit than I.'
I read and re-read these words, and they seemed so true in my case I wanted to tell you about it. I have been saved from a self-righteous feeling, yet burdened with a sense of unworthiness. With me it is not only a feeling of unworthiness, but I know it is real unworthiness; so the mercy of God is my only hope. I also read and re-read the words: 'But Hezekiah rendered not again according to the benefits done unto him, for his heart was lifted up'; and, as I review my poor life, I know this too is true of me. I know God"s mercy to me has been great in temporal things, and I hope He has had mercy on me in the pardon of my sin, but I have not rendered again according to all these benefits. Your brother in hope, J. H. Oliphant
"

No comments: