This site is for those that believe in the sovereignty of God. If you wish just jump in.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Letter to Sisterinla

Letter to Sister-in-law
by James H. Oliphant

Letter to Sister-in-law

THE GOSPEL MESSENGER
Devoted to the Primitive Baptist Cause
Sylvester Hassell, Editor


Crawfordsville, Indiana, February 1911
A LETTER ON THE DEATH OF ELDER R. A. OLIPHANT TO SISTER OLIPHANT. (From Messenger of Peace)

DEAR SISTER:--I am glad we visited you last year. You and Richard treated us as kind as you could, and made it a bright spot in our live,. We regret that you could not come in the fall to see us, but sickness and death there, and my wife was in bed eight weeks, and since she mends so slow, is not able to do the work, so we have a girl; but had you come we could not have been with you any, but we were looking to next year when we hoped to have you and R. A. at our home and be with again But, alas ! our bright visions are all now dashed to the ground. Richard was ever a dear brother to me, and I loved him as strong as one man can love another. I know he was a high-minded gentleman and a true Christian, an able minister of the gospel, and whose praise was in all the churches. We never needed him so much as we do now, but, 'Man proposes and God disposes.' All our hopes and plans and prospects are reversed, and we must finish life without his company and advice; the face that once beamed with intelligence and love, is now cold in death, and that voice that once gladdened our hearts as it rang out in the pulpit and at the fireside, is now still, and we will hear it no more. 'Dearest brother, thou hast left us, Here thy loss we deeply feel, But 'tis God that hath bereft us, He can all our sorrows heal.' 0 how glad I would have been to be with you in your journey to the grave, and to mingle my tears with yours, as we put his loved form to rest, and paid our final tribute to our loved one. But the distance, and cold weather, and my wife's ill health, all forbid me undertaking the journey; besides I have been afflicted peculiarly, and fear for my health to make the trip. I shall think of you all and see you in my mind; I will see your tears as you take the last look and hear your grief. God Almighty, bless those strong and brave sons, and those precious daughters in this trial. May the noble spirit of their father live in them to bless the world, and to maintain God's eternal truth. He leaves a noble family, that has blessed those with whom they have associated. And I think of you and your loss. You were happy together, and each one needed the other, but the Lord has crossed your plans. I am sure you have many pleasant recollections to recall, and as we turn to the future we know there will be a sweet meeting by and by, where none ever say, 'Fare you well.' 'What must it be to be there?' with a countless host, where all are pure and happy, and nothing to mar our peace. 0 let us be submissive, and yield to this sad providence, and cry with patience, 'Thy will be done.' But I have not yet felt the submission I desire. I know he is now in heaven and at rest. Already has he joined in the songs of heaven; we must turn to our cares and duties a little while longer, and I feel a strange willingness to leave all below. 'O for a faith that will not shrink, Though pressed by every foe.' Dear sister, let me commend you to God. He only can solace you in this time of need. Affectionately, J.H. 0LIPHANT AND WIFE.

No comments: