This site is for those that believe in the sovereignty of God. If you wish just jump in.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Persecutions

Persecutions
by James H. Oliphant

Persecution PERSECUTION EXHIBITED THE POWER OF GOD Huss and Jerome were burned alive--Huss on July 7, 1415 and Jerome on May 20, 1416. Huss endured his sentence with great courage, and prayed for his tormentors. Previous to his martyrdom he wrote letters to his friends in Bohemia, which gives an idea of his frame of mind. I take the following sentences from his letter: 'My dear friends, let me take this last opportunity of exhorting you to trust in nothing here, but give yourselves up entirely to the service of God'. This advice he gave from a correct view of its importance. Martyrdom was at hand, and all to him was worthless but God. O, that we could all see it in this light all the while! 'Well, I am authorized to warn you not to trust in princes, nor in any of the children of men; for there is no help in them. God alone remains steadfast; whatever He promises He. will undoubtedly perform. For myself, on His gracious promises I trust. Having labored as His faithful servant, I am not afraid of being deserted by Him.' (It is sweet, in the hour of trial, to feel conscious that we have stood up for truth through life; that we have not been bribed from it by popular feeling, nor covetousness. All of us must meet death in some form. Oh, how desirable that we be prepared to meet it with a conscience void of offence!) 'May the God of heaven preserve you. This is probably the last letter I shall write to you. I have reasons to think I shall be called upon tomorrow to answer with my life. Sigmund (the Emperor) hath in all things acted deceitfully. I pray God to forgive him. You have heard in what severe terms he hath spoken of me.' It is said that Jerome at first showed less courage than Huss. The dread of death affected him, and the Catholics hoped he would yield up his faith, but his mind became more composed, and regained its wonted strength and vigor, when he was called before the council to answer for his behavior. One who was present says, 'I never knew the art of speaking carried so near the model of ancient eloquence. After many articles had been proved against him, leave was given him to answer. He refused, contending that ho had many things to say, and that he ought first to be heard in general before descending into particulars. When this was overruled, he said, 'Here, here is justice; here is equity. Beset by my enemies, I am already pronounced a heretic. I am condemned before I am examined. Were you God omniscient you could not act with more sufficiency. Error is the lot of mortals, and you are subject to it. The higher you are the more dangerous are your errors. As for me, I know I am a wretch below your notice, but an unjust action in such an assembly will be of dangerous example.' He was blessed with wonderful liberty in his address. His actions were such as to give the greatest force to what he said. 'It was impossible to hear him without emotion.' 'Every ear was captivated, and every heart touched. Wishes in his favor were vain; he threw himself beyond a possibility of mercy.' 'If that holy martyr', said he, speaking of Huss, 'used the clergy with disrespect, his censures were not leveled at them as priests, but as wicked men.' 'His voice was sweet, distinct and full; his actions every way the most proper.' 'With a cheerful look he met his fate, fearing neither death nor the horrible form in which it came. When he came to the place, he pulled off his upper garment, and made a short prayer at the stake, to which he was soon bound with cords and a chain, and enclosed as high as his breast with fagots.' 'Observing the executioner about to fire the wood behind him, he cried, 'Bring thy torch hither, perform thy office before my face; had I feared death I might have avoided it.' As the wood began to blaze, he sang a hymn, which the violence of the flame scarcely interrupted. Thus died this prodigious man.' Persecution exhibited the power of religion. Trials, opposition, the hate of the world and poverty, all tend to bring us low at the feet of our Saviour. What are all the honors and riches of earth compared to that which sustained these men in their last tremendous trials! How we should crave to be supported by the sweet felt presence of God! We should long to serve Him in His house and among His people faithfully and sincerely."

No comments: